The Cymdeithas Hanes Eifionydd History Society web site.
© 2005   Cymdeithas Hanes Effionydd History Society  All Rights Reserved

Lawn Tennis -

The Criccieth courts were famous in the tennis world. Situated at the west end of the town, they provided a main feature in the sporting life of the district. The club was formed in 1882, commencing with one court at Parciau Mawr on the hill above the town. It at once became popular and two years later it was moved to its present site and visitors were admitted. It steadily increased in favour and there were eight grass and two hard courts.

Fifty-one open tournaments were held up to 1939, at which players from all over the country competed for the North Wales championships. In addition American and other tournaments were held here

Golf -  [as described circa 1940 ?]

The Criccieth Golf Course  will challenge any in the kingdom for the beauty of its surroundings. It is an inland course, a mile to the north of the town (car park), and its fairways give an unrivalled view of sea, valley and mountain. Its 18 holes cover gently undulating ground and the turf is of that delightfully springy nature that furnishes excellent lies. The hazards, mainly natural, require skill to negotiate, while the fairways are spacious and the greens varied in character.

Golf started in Criccieth with a few holes on Caerdyni Hill, but in 1906 the present course was formally opened and since then it has been steadily improved and extended to its present high standard. There is a club house with the usual amenities, the club is registered and Sunday play is allowed. Handicap events are held at Easter, Whitsun and August, with many open competitions. The August tournament is very popular with visiting players. The professional supplies all necessary equipment,



The Official guide

3rd edition  price 1/-

C1950 ?